Thursday, April 28, 2011

My weight loss journey

Let me first say that, this is MY OPINION, I have in no way, shape or form been paid for my opinion or this post.  I am not a doctor nor do I have any type of medical degree.  Please consult with your doctor prior to starting this diet.  And if you don't care to know the dirty details of my weight loss journey then please save yourself and stop reading.  With that being said, here we go:

I have been struggling with my weight for a long time.  When I got married I weight 145, I was working out, lean & fit and LOVED how I looked naked.  (Apparently so did my husband because 3 months later we got pregnant.)  When I found out I was preggo, I was 162 @ 5'8".  (Yes, I said it and I will continue to admit my weight from this long journey through out this post)  I was at a normal BMI and I was comfortable in my skin and clothes.  I gained 50lbs when I was preggo with her.  Do the math people, 162 + 50 = 212 which is BIG OLE WHALE on the scale.  After having Zoe, I lost 25 pounds.  212 -  25 = 187 still considered to be overweight.  I worked out and dieted, but the weight wouldn't come off.  Then to make matters worse in the weight department, I got preggo again. (five years later)  I gained 48 more pounds with Ava.  187 + 48 = 235 which again BIG OLE MOMMA WHALE!!  I lost down to 194.5 after Ava.   Being a mommy of two makes it hard to get to the gym and working out at home is even harder.

When my mom start talking about this 'miracle' diet, I was a skeptic but really intrigued at the idea of losing weight fast.  So I watched my mom lose 34 pounds in roughly 40 days and decided to just do it.  What did I have to lose right?   I weighed 194.5 and was EXTREMLY unhappy. 

What did I take?
I took/take Smart HCG.  It is made at a local lab and it works.  The first round of Smart HCG was only HCG and Water, however this second round has extra ingredients.  (L-carnintine, Arginine, and a few others)  It still works the same but now it just has some amino acids and energy boosters.  The most important ingredient is the HCG though.  If it doesn't have HCG, it's not the right stuff.  GNC sells something that says it's HCG but it doesn't have HCG in it.  You want to make sure to read the label.  You can by it online or in certain vitamin/herb stores.  (My mom is selling it also, I can get you the deets if you are interested)

How does it work?
Well, I could write it all out for you or you could just go look online at these sites for more info or google it yourself:
http://www.truemd.com/blog/2009/04/the-hows-of-the-hcg-diet/
http://www.healthyhcg.com/faq.html
http://www.hcg1234.com/
 
 
What worked for me?
I did alot of research before and during the diet to make sure I was completely informed.  I strongly encourage you to do the same.  I used Sparkpeople to track all of my food the first cycle but this time I'm using MyFitnessPal.  (It has more food options and I like it better)   This cycle Nick is doing the diet with me.  (It was so hard the first time to cook different meals for me and my family)  I tried to cook as many meals ahead of time to save time.  I made a pitcher of green tea to drink daily and if I got hungry I would drink a glass of tea.  I also took B12 drops and a multivitamin daily.  I was VERY strict on the diet, I didn't cheat or sway from the diet in any way.  I used tabasco, garlic and Pace picante to add extra flavor to meals I felt were a little boring.
 
What can you eat on the diet?
From www.nutritiondata.com – USDA nutrition data base ~ all foods measured & weighed RAW


FRUIT: one fruit per meal; do not mix
Apple: medium = 95
Grapefruit: ½ = 44
Orange: large = 86
Strawberries: 10 medium: = 40

STARCH:
Melba Toast: 1 = 20
Melba Snack: 2 = 24
Grissini Breadstick: 1 = 20

MEAT: 100 grams - 3 ½ ounces; all visible fat removed; weighed raw; cook with no oil or fat:
Chicken Breast: = 110
Ground Beef: 95% lean = 137
Steak: (round/sirloin tip) = 142
Crab: = 84
Halibut: 110
Cod = 110
Flounder: 91
Tilapia: 96
Lobster: = 90
Shrimp: = 106
Veal: = 112

VEGETABLES: measured raw; one vegetable per meal; do not mix; ADJUST the serving sizes to fit your 500 calories per day!

Asparagus: 10 medium spears = 30
Beet-Greens: 3 cups = 24
Cabbage: 1 cup = 22
Celery: 2 cups = 32
Chard: 3 cups = 21
Cucumber: 1 medium = 45
Fennel: 1 cup = 27
Lettuce: 3 cups green = 15
Onion: ½ cup = 32
Red Radishes: 1 cup sliced = 19
Spinach: 3 cups = 21
Tomatoes: 1 medium = 22 1 cup = 27

MILK: 1 Tablespoon whole milk = 9 calories
 
 
What was my daily diet routine?
Breakfast:
Drops 10 minutes before meal
Large cup of coffee
Orange
 
Lunch:
Drops 10 minutes before meal

Salad
Steak/Chicken or Shrimp
Cup of green tea
 
Snack:
Apple 
 
Dinner:
Drops 10 minutes before meal

Asparagus
Steak/Chicken or Shrimp
Grissini breadstick or Melba Toast
Cup of green tea
 
Recipes:
http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/cookbooks.asp?cookbook=190562  (Lots of good ones)
http://www.diyhcg.com/phase-2-recipes/
http://www.hcgloss.com/recipes/category-recipes/phase-2-vlcd.html


What was it like?

It was hard. But you get used to it and it gets easier. The first week I was EXHAUSTED!! Then afterwards it was easier. You have to retrain your body to eat NORMAL portions. The food can get boring but you can find recipes online or above to help along the way. The weight will come off, sometimes it doesn't come off as fast as you want it to. Sometimes you gain .2 of a pound and that's disappointing but normal.

My Stats:
Cycle one
Starting weight on 2/1/11: 194.5lbs
Ending weight on 3/9/11: 168lbs
Total weight lost: 27.5lbs

Cycle two
Starting weight on 4/25/11: 168lbs
Day 2 of VLCD weight on 4/28/11: 166lbs
Goal weight 145!!

I am using this diet as a starting point to get the weight off then I plan on getting in the gym again to keep it off.  This post is sort of all over the place but I tried to cover everything.  Email me with any questions you have.  Stefaniewade1023@yahoo.com

Good luck and take care!

Stefanie


Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

2 comments:

Dhutchings42807 said...

Stef,
You never cease to amaze me! Thanks for all the effort you put into this blog. Even I (researcher of all things ) got some great tips. Thanks!
I am on my second round too and am down 12.2 this time and 46 total so far.

One other thought is magnesium is a good idea to stay 'regular' and not going more than 4 days ... Well you know.
Also this round I have worked out almost everyday and I am seeing lots of results in inches too.
Again you are doing GREAT.

The Ziebarth Family said...

Girl, I am so ready to try this! I need to lose about 30 pounds and I think this would be a great way to lose it and then keep it off with my working out and changing my diet. I am seriously considering buying the stuff from your mom. Can you email me with a little more specifics on the meals you ate? I would have to work really hard for the diet part so I need the most advice for that portion. Can you email me at traci.ziebarth@gpisd.org?
Thanks sweetie, you look great!!!