Tuesday, October 4, 2011

I'm Bored Jar

Zoe is always BORED.  How that is possible I'm not sure but I'm tired of hearing "Mom, I'm bored!"  So I decided to google "activites to CURE my childs boredom" or something along those words and came across this idea from this blog.  (one of my new favorites, btw!)  When I saw this idea I knew I had to do it.  I made an activities can and a bank. I had all the materials on hand and during naptime today, it was done! 

1.  Materials - Cookie tin (activities can) & peanut butter jar (bank)
yellow paper (the tin is already cover with the paper in the pic)
hot glue
scissors
tape (I only had packing tape)
 ribbon (or lace-y ribbon in my case)
paper cutter
the printables from Skippy to my Lou
(you have to click on the images and print them, I resized mine in Word to make sure they fit my can and jar)
2.  All of the boredom busting activities cut up and folded in the tin
3.  The finished product (I don't like the lace-y ribbon, it will be replaced)
4.  The 'I'm bored bank and activity can" together side-by-side as one.  :::insert romantic sigh:::

So here's how it works:
Zoe says "Mom, I'm bored", I tell her "I'm sorry your bored would you like to pick from the can?"  If she says "Yes!" she will deposit 5 cents in the bank. & pick an activity from the can.  She must do the activity she picks regardless of what it is, no trading for something better different.  If she chooses not to do the activity she remains bored and she out 5 cents.  She can do up to 5 boredom busters a day.  The boredom busters are not all fun & games, there are some learning/homework type activites & some chores too.  It's all luck of the draw. 

Why do I charge my child 5 cents to pick from the can?  Why not.  She's six five, for 18 more days atleast, she needs to learn about money and how to entertain herself.  If she sees that it will cost her 5 cents everytime she's bored she will learn (hopefully) to find something to do on her own and not be "bored" all the time.  I'm Cruel, huh?  Nah, if you heard "I'm bored" as much as I do you would do the same.  (Besides, she will probably get the 5 cents from me anyways)  When the can is empty, it will be restocked with NEW boredom busters.  The "I'm Bored" bank will not be touched until it is full.  The money will be counted, replaced with cash and put in her savings/piggy bank.  I'm thinking of making a set for the car, cause she's always bored in the car. 

Sound like a good idea?

I'll let y'all know how it goes!

No comments: